Did you know sparklers burn at 2,000 degrees? That’s hot enough to melt some metals! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that on average, 280 people go to the emergency room every day in July with fireworks-related injuries. Help keep your kiddos safe this holiday with these 5 firework tips from Urgent Care for Children.
Leave it to the Pros
The easiest way to protect your little ones is just to leave the work to professionals. The American Academy of Pediatrics highly recommends that families with children avoid at-home fireworks shows and enjoy public firework displays instead.
Be sure to prepare your kiddo for the loud noises! Some children that aren’t used to fireworks can easily become anxious or frightened. We recommend bringing earplugs to protect their little ears.
Check out the annual Thunder on the Mountain fireworks show at Vulcan Park & Museum. Starting at 9 p.m., Birmingham’s iconic statue will be illuminated with colorful lights.
Watch Those Sparklers
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that 19 percent of fireworks injuries in 2015 were due to sparklers. Children under the age of 10 should always be supervised by an adult when playing with these mesmerizing fireworks. We even recommend wearing gloves, so sparks don’t hurt if they fall on their hands, and keeping a bucket of water nearby to easily dispose of the wands when finished.
Take Necessary Precautions
If you choose to play with fireworks at home, avoid wearing loose or flammable clothing. Stress the importance of never pointing fireworks at people or homes and keeping them away from leaves and other flammable objects. Fireworks can easily get out of hand, so taking turns may prevent a dangerous “fireworks fight.” Always keep a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher nearby and place all used fireworks in the bucket of water.
Implement a No Touch Rule
If a firework doesn’t go off, make sure your child knows never to approach or stand over it. While we want our kiddos to be mindful of litter, fireworks can go off unexpectedly causing serious injuries. Any debris should be left alone and disposed of by the adults
Have a Plan
If your child is injured by fireworks, immediately bring them to Urgent Care for Children or your nearest hospital, depending on the severity of the burn. If an eye injury occurs, do not let your child rub it, as this can cause even more damage and pain. Minor sparkler burns can be treated by using mild soap and lukewarm water to clean the area, but remember the most important thing is to keep the wound dry and clean.